The decision, regarding opening up of worship places in Kerala, including Sabarimala and other temples, taken by the state government without seeking the opinions of the concerned temple authorities, Hindu organisations, acharyas, and swamis is malicious in nature and meant to destroy Hindu unity, culture and rituals. The special meeting of the representtives of various Hindu organizationns, Acharyas and heads of religious mutts held today the 8th June, 2020, through video conferencing, categorically opposed the decision and demanded extension of temple opening for pubic darsan, till proper precautionary measures are made available and spread of Covid pandemic is brought under control.
Even though temple dependant employees are in financial difficulties during the past 3 months due to COVID related lock down and restrictions, when the spread of COVID is alarmingly increasing and as per the suggestions of experts, relaxations in the lock down and opening up of worship places including temples is dangerous inviting more COVID casualties, the decision of the government is doubtful. Government has taken the decision without consulting temple authorities, Acharyas, Hindu organizations etc. who are directly related to temples as the government consider temples as source of income only, to meet government expenses.
Unlike other temples, because of the specialty of Sabarimala pilgrimage, if darsan is allowed, even under restricted conditions, chances of community spread of Covid is more.
- The climbing up of the 18 holy steps and doing darsan at sabarimala keeping social distancing is not practical.
- Though bathing at Pampa in Triveni sangam (pampa snanam) is not allowed, devotees coming from faraway places, as part of the rituals, taking a dip in pampa at other places like Perinad, Kanamala, Vadasserikara, Naranamthodu etc. can’t be controlled.
- Devotees coming from states other than Kerala, especially from Red zones, though arranging Passes on the basis of COVID negative certificates, will cause uncontrollable community spread of the pandemic, as they will be passing through many places, visiting temples, hotels, other public places, public toilets & comfort stations etc. and the chance of community spread is maximum, even under strict precautionary measures.
The decision of the government is doubtful of their anti-temple hidden agenda, because, if some Covid cases are identified due to Sabarimala pilgrimage, the leftist government and politicians may make use of this as a weapon to attack Hindus. If so, government can order even close down of the temple, legally.
The government considers temples as source of income only and their eyes are on the wealth accumulated there. Recently they hatched a plan through devaswom board to sell gold, brass utensils and even holy lamps to fill the bankrupt government’s coffers, however the Hindu community and organisations could thwart their sinister plan on time.
We desire and demand Devaswam boards and the concerned government authorities to continue the restrictions based on scientific advices aimed at the safety and security of people and the temple administrators. At the same time, devotees should come forward and extend financial help and support to the poojaries and other sevaks of temples, who are tirelessly working with pure devotion and dedication for the upkeep of the temples, and its premises, and conducting continuous, unavoidable daily poojas and rituals even in this difficult and risky atmosphere.
We, devotees and representatives of various Hindu organizations & Temple committees, Acharyas, Swamies and heads of religious mutts, put our signatures below and appeal to the Government of Kerala, Devaswam Boards and related government authorities to postpone opening up of temples for public darsan till 30th June, keeping the status –co and issue appropriate Order, immediately.
- Swamy Chidanandapuri (Kolathoor Adwaidashram.)
- Swamy Ayyappadas.
- Padmasree.P.R.Krishnakumar (AVP Coimbatore.
- Shree T.B.Shekhar (National Chairman, Sabrimala Ayyappa Seva Samajam)
- Brahmasree Akkeeraman Kalidasan Bhattathirippad (Kerala State President, Sabrimala Ayyappa Seva Samajam )
- Shree Narayana Verma (Pandalam Palace Administrator)
- Shree V.N.Anilkumar (Villakkathalla Nair Sabha)
- Adv.Sathish T. Padmanabhan.(Kerala Vishvakarma Sabha)
- Shree N.K.Neelakandan Master (Ex President, K.P.M.S.)
- Smt. K.P.Shashikala Teacher (Hindu Aikya Vedi)
- Shree. M.Sathyasheelan.(All Kerala Hindu Sambhavar Maha Sabha)
- Shree Subhrahmanyan Moosath. (All India Brahmin Federation)
- Shree Balaraman B.R. (Viswa Hindu Parishath)
- Prof. Krishna Varma Raja. (Kerala Kshethra Samrakshana Samithy)
- Shree S.J.R.Kumar (General Convenor, Sabarimala Karma Samithy)
- Shree K.V.Shivan (Akhil Bharathiya Veer Shaiva Mahasabha)
- Shree R.S Manian, (Tamil Vishvakarma Sabha)